After toppling India as the world’s call center and outsourcing hub late last year, 2011 will turn out to be a great year for the business process outsourcing industry in the Philippines.
Majority of outsourcing operations are done in technologically-equipped facilities located in key cities across the country such as Makati, Manila, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Taguig, Cebu, Baguio, Cagayan de Oro, Clark, Dagupan, Davao, Lipa, Iloilo, Legazpi, and the provinces of Cavite and Laguna.
These areas are trailblazing the local economies with a promise of further expansion and revenue growth.
A review of top industry players
The top ten players in the business process outsourcing industry are the following:
– Convergys – Operating since 2003, this global company provides human resource and billing services. It has made a mark in history by opening the biggest call center in Makati City with 2,041-seat capacity.
– E-Telecare Global Solutions – Supported by the Ayala family, this company provides inbound customer service and sales programs to Fortune 100 clients as well as technical support.
– Software Ventures International (SVI) – This company is a top provider of business solutions development and IT consulting services, catering to the needs of major worldwide industries in telecommunications, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, transportation, media, banking and insurance, as well as manufacturing, energy, and government sectors.
– Aegis People Support – This company offers interactive and back-office services to Fortune 500 companies globally, especially in the field of telecommunications, healthcare and insurance, travel, banking and finance.
– Teleperformance – Back-office support, customer care, technical support and automation solutions in the areas of telecommunications, travel, insurance and finance, and other industries are what this company specializes in.
– ICT Group – This firm provides customer care solutions in various industries for domestic and international corporations in Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, and the United States.
– West Services – This focuses on direct marketing, customer-initiated contacts processing, and automated voice response services, including inbound and outbound calls.
– Amberbase Solutions (formerly Epixtar) – Specializes on telemarketing services in order to supervise their clients’ customer acquisition and retention. Currently, it is offering medical transcription and financial services as well.
– Teletech – This has formed an alliance with the Philippine Long Distance Company (PLDT) to primarily provide integrated customer relations management solutions to U.S. clients.
– Telus International Philippines – This Canada-based international company provides an array of service such as contact center, IT development and solutions, technical support, customer care, market research, and back office support.
These facilities are continuously upgrading and expanding to meet the current growing market and projected prospects. These include the influx of foreign-based companies that intend to set up business operations in the country.
The most common offshore outsourcing activities in the country include the following:
– Contact or call center
– Medical transcription
– Legal transcription
– Architecture and engineering design
– Online marketing (SEO and SEM)
– Game development
– Software development
– Human resources
– Finance and accounting
The Business Processing Association of the Philippines (BPAP) estimates that 61 percent of workers in the business process outsourcing industry are employed in call centers. It predicts to achieve $11.6 million average revenue for the year 2011.
There are about 350,000 workers in call centers out of 708,000 full-time employees of the entire business process outsourcing industry. This figure makes the country a prime destination for outsourcing operations.
Seeing such huge potentials, experts within the industry are generating ways to make their operations cost-effective and, at the same time, raise the level of their employees’ skills and competence.