In the midst of global economic downturn, corporate top executives stay focused to upturn the organization’s revenue despite cost-effective turbulence. With the continuous effect of recession, companies consider outsourcing as an additional avenue to reach specific cost-saving objectives.The prevalence of the business system in the world market can be attributed to the favorable benefits and advantages
that it provides. Thus, multitudes of companies nowadays prefer to outsource some of their tasks.Along with the global economic struggle is the advent of modern technology, specifically the Internet. It allows the establishment of more online business opportunities in various marketplaces. It also resulted to the emergence of numerous Information Technology industries. In fact, according to a latest survey, 38 percent of software development professionals use outsourcing to adhere to the requirements of their organization.Below is a list of frequently outsourced IT services
based on the survey.
- Application or software development
- Web development or hosting
- Application support or management
- Technical support or help desk
Information technology outsourcing can affect every aspect of any local businesses, as well as the global industries. Hence, it is important to identify its pros and cons. Its effective management can result to:Low Cost of Labor
Third party services are only utilized when a need arises. Thus, companies that transfer their tasks to this practice are obliged to compensate the actual service hours consumed. Moreover, outsourced labor is far low-priced than maintaining full-time employees.Low Capital Cost
It allows companies to obtain a good source of IT experts at a fraction of the cost of hiring an entire team. In addition, since services are being outsourced, investment in IT infrastructure is lower compared to the cost of investing for a full in-house IT team.Better Quality of Work
The presence of a third-party service provider allows companies to have an access to top-of-the-line IT professionals at reasonably affordable costs. A company is able to hire an entire team of well-educated IT experts and quality technical staffs that possess many years of experience in hardware and software technologies.Although it presents a number of positive benefits, it is not without disadvantages. Mismanaged of this system can lead to:
- workers losing their jobs
- loss of investment
- customer disappointment
The transfer of jobs from local to overseas has various effects both on the local and overseas employment. In particular, Information Technology outsourcing has the following impacts all across the globe.
- This occurs mostly in developing countries like China, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines where labor cost is less expensive. Therefore, the upsurge of IT jobs in these countries is expected. Meanwhile, IT workers in the U.S. is now experiencing the diminution of IT job opportunities.
- The business system has its huge impact on the economy of under developed or developing countries. Since these countries serve as a third-party service provider, it triggers job creation to ensure that all incoming service requests are fulfilled and properly managed.
- When an organization outsourced its services to a least develop country, salaries of IT experts will increase, and consequently it helps to improve the living standards of the people in that particular nation.
- The drastic economic change in IT industry due to this business trend can be reasonably nerve-wracking to IT students. This is because they may understandably begin to question their choice of career.
Information Technology outsourcing has its positive and negative impacts globally. But significantly, it bridges the gap in economy between the richest and poorest countries.
More from Outsource-Philippines